Almost 3 months since my last update, bad blogger! Some of you may remember me celebrating passing my Orange Star test in March, which mean that I was considered bout-ready and eligible for team selection in my league. It also meant an extra training night each week as there is a specific team session on Fridays. Anyhow, I attended one of these sessions and was promptly bedridden with the flu for a week. I’ve also had some major upheavals in my non-derby life, especially at work, which have all contributed to a lack of blogging.
So what have I been up to? Well…
- I’ve been attending training on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays most weeks
- I also go to Men’s team training on Thursdays when I can (they have invited some of the female Orange stars to attend and boost numbers for the time being, as it’s hard to run some drills with >10 people!)
- We’ve had a new intake of Fresh Meat and I’ve been helping with their training on Sunday evenings
- Saw my first live international derby game: Grave Danger from Seattle came out to Australia in April and I saw them play 2 games in Sydney and 1 in Canberra against SRDL and CRDL
- Upgraded my skate plate and did a bunch of skate maintenance- I took photos, so there will be an entry about this eventually!
- Reffed some scrim and NSO’d a WFTDA-sanctioned bout
- Attended a bootcamp run by S2D2
- Participated in an Open Scrim with my League (and my potluck team made me captain!)
- Skated in a 2 day tournament with a potluck team (my first official bout! Plus 2 more!)
- Helped organise another home bout
- Skated in my first home bout as a DisHonour Roller, and won!
- Watched some amazing derby in general, starting with the Mens Roller Derby World Cup in March and including yesterday’s 5×5 game between VDL and WIRD: we tied at 157 each and had to go to an overtime jam for tiebreaker! A powerjam against us saw WIRD win by just 4 points, it was a nailbiter.
To cap all this off, as of last week I am now the Vice President of my league. While I’m relatively new to derby still (10 months since I started Fresh Meat, so less than a year! Some times it feels like I’ve always been a derby girl, sometimes I feel like I’ve barely finished Freshies and how can anyone actually let me skate??), I’ve been involved with Committees and Not For Profits in various shapes and forms for close to a decade and have spent the last 8 months on subcommittees in the league already. Still, I appreciate the vote of confidence from my league, and I’m looking forward to the challenge.